Serving size: 4 or 5 delicious slides.
Lemon Blueberry Cake
180 g All-purpose flour plus 1/2 tbsp
160 g White Sugar
75 g Butter softened
2 Eggs lightly beaten
90 ml buttermilk
2 Lemons / juice and zest
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp of salt
100 g Fresh blueberries
Some drops of Purple food coloring (I used Americolor electric purple gel)
1. Preheat oven to 350F / 170C.
2. Grease and flour 3 cake pans of 12 cm or 5 inches diameter.
3. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4. Spread 1/2 tbsp of flour over fresh blueberries just to cover them in flour.
5. Beat butter on medium-high speed for about 5 minutes or until pale. Add sugar and continue beating a few minutes until creamy and fluffy.
6. Add lightly beaten eggs slowly beating at medium speed.
7. Add half of the flour mix, then the buttermilk plus the lemon juice and then the remaining flour. Beat on low speed just to integrate the flour and the mix is smooth. No more than 1 minute. Mix in lemon zest and blueberries using a spatula.
8. Divide mix in 3 equal batches. Pour first batch in a cake pan. Color second batch in soft purple and third one in vivid purple and pour them in different cake pans. Take them to the oven for about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and the surface looks soft brown.
9. Let them rest in the cake pan for 15 minutes, take the cakes out and let them cool to room temperature.
125 g lemon juice
160 g Powdered sugar
200 g butter
1. Mix lemon juice, eggs and sugar in a saucepan and cook until it reaches 70C/160F. Whisk constantly. Sift the mix through a small sieve if you see any lumps.
2. Using a stand mixer, whisk for about 10 minutes or until bowl feels cool.
3. Start adding butter slowly until it is fully incorporated.
4. Cover with plastic film and refrigerate.
Lemon Swiss Meringue Buttercream
70 g Egg whites (2 egg whites)
125 g Butter, softened
100 g White sugar
100 g Lemon curd at room temperature
1. Mix egg whites with sugar in a small saucepan and put it over a saucepan with simmering water a few minutes until sugar dissolves or using a thermometer until it gets 65°C exactly. Whisk constantly. Sift the mix through a small sieve if you get any lumps.
2. Using a stand mixer, whisk for about 10 minutes or until Swiss meringue is firm and bowl feels cool.
3. Once meringue is ready start adding soften butter slowly until it is fully incorporated. Whip 10 minutes at medium- hight speed.
4. Add lemon curd and whip 10 more minutes.