Pink and Lemonade Butter Cake
Serving size: 12 – 14 medium slices
150 g Butter softened
170 g White Sugar
2 Eggs lightly beaten
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
200 g Cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
120 g Milk
Zest of 2 lemons
20 ml Raspberry Juice
Some drops of Soft Pink gel food coloring
1. Preheat oven to 325°F / 160°C . Grease and flour two round 5 x 3.5 inch / 12 x 9 cm cake pans or two round 6 inches cake pans.
2. In a medium bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Set aside.
3. Beat butter on medium-high speed for about 5 minutes or until pale. Add sugar and continue beating a few minutes until creamy and fluffy.
4. Add lightly beaten eggs slowly beating at medium speed. Add vanilla extract.
5. Add flour mix and milk alternately, beginning and ending with dry mixture. Beat on low speed just to integrate the flour and the mix looks smooth. No more than 1 minute.
6. Divide mix in 2 equal batches. Pour first batch in a cake pan. Add Cranberry Juice and some drops of Soft Pink gel food coloring to the second batch and mix to combine. Pour it in the other cake pan and smooth the surfaces evenly.
6. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a cake tester comes clean when inserted into the center. Be so careful to not over-bake.
7. Let cool on racks for 5 minutes and invert onto greased wire racks. Gently turn cakes back up, so the tops are up and cool.
Recipe from livforcake.com :
200 g peaches chopped
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 1 tsp cold water
1. Place half of the peaches, sugar, and lemon juice into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Mash peaches to break down into a puree. Add remaining 1 cup of peaches and cook for 5 minutes. Add cornstarch slurry and simmer until thick. Cool completely before using on cake.
Lemon Swiss Meringue Buttercream
150 g Egg whites (about 5 large egg whites. It is important to weight them)
300 g Butter, softened
200 g White sugar
1/2 tsp Lemon extract
20 ml Raspberry Juice
1. Mix egg whites with sugar in a small saucepan and put it over a saucepan with simmering water a few minutes until sugar dissolves or using a thermometer until it gets 65°C exactly. Whisk constantly. Sift the mix through a small sieve if you get any lumps.
2. Using a stand mixer, whisk for about 10 minutes or until Swiss meringue is firm and bowl feels cool.
3. Once meringue is ready start adding soften butter slowly until it is fully incorporated. Whip 10 minutes at medium – high speed.
4. Add some drops of food coloring and whisk to incorporate. I used Soft Pink of Americolor Gel Food coloring.
White Chocolate Ganache
80 g White Chocolate
40 g Cream ( if using White chocolate couverture or 80g if using real White Chocolate )
1. In a small saucepan mix both ingredients. Bring pan over medium heat until both ingredients dissolves completely. Let cool and use it at 30 ° C / 86 ° F. If you don’t have a thermometer, make sure the ganache is at room temperature before using it; so Chocolate will not melt buttercream and you will get a more interesting thickness.
To Assemble and decorate Cake
1. If cakes are domed on top, even out with a knife (Frozen cakes work better here). You can cut both cakes in half so you get 4 evenly layers.
2. Place the first layer on a cake board and using a pastry bag, pipe buttercream around top. Add some cooled peach filling on top and repeat the process as necessary.
3. Spread buttercream all over the cake and then remove any excess with the icing smoother and place it in the refrigerator about 15 minutes.
4. Bring the cake from the refrigerator and using the offset spatula cover with buttercream.
5. Start smoothing slowly with an icing smoother. Be patient. Pay attention to get smooth surfaces and straight edges. Refrigerate once more.
6. Bring the cake from the refrigerator. Make sure white ganache is at room temperature but still liquid before using it, in this way the Chocolate will not melt the frosting and you will get a more interesting thickness. Drip it over the edges of the cake using a spoon.
7. Use the remaining pink buttercream to pipe on the top of the cake. I used Wilton 8B tip.
8. Use some fresh raspberries and fresh edible flowers to decorate.