50 g melted butter, cooled
170 g all-purpose flour
30 g Unsweetened Cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
230 g white sugar
1 large egg
170 g Sour Cream
110 g Boiling water (Coffee works great too)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 325°F / 175°C.
2. Grease and flour ( I used cocoa powder instead flour) 2 cake pan of 12 cm or 5 inches diameter.
3. Whisk Sour cream, melted butter, egg and vanilla until smooth. Set aside.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the flat beater, mix the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt on low speed for 30 seconds.
5. Pour sour cream-egg mixture over dry ingredients starting from low speed and increasing slowly. Add hot boiling water and beat 1 or 2 minutes maximum or until you see no lumps. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. You can do this manually too using a whisk.
6. Pour mix evenly into cake pans and bake over a baking tray 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Place a wire rack on top of the cake pan and invert, lifting off the pan. Let cool at room temperature and freeze 30 minutes at least.
Delicate Nutella Frosting
200 g Unsalted butter at room temperature
150 g Icing sugar
150 g Nutella
1/2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
250 g Cream Cheese Philadelphia style ( 10 minutes out of the fridge )
1. Beat butter at medium speed until pale and fluffy.
2. Add Icing sugar and beat until fluffy. About 5 minutes.
3. Add Nutella and Cream cheese and beat for another 2 minutes at medium-hight speed.
150 g Nutella
100 g Cream
1. In a small saucepan heat cream until almost boil.
2. Pour hot cream over nutella.
3. Start mixing gently with a spoon until nutella melts completely.
4. Let the Ganache cool at room temperature before using.
To Assemble and decorate Cake
1. If cakes are domed on top, even out with a knife or cake leveler (Frozen cakes work better here). Even out both cakes in three equal tiny layers so you get 6 evenly layers.
2. Place the first layer on a cake board and pipe Nutella frosting over the first layer using a large star tip. I used Wilton 8B.
3. Pour some Nutella Ganache on top. Repeat 4 times more.
4. Use chocolate swirls to decorate on top.
Tip: This cake keeps better in the freeze. Just take it out half an hour before serving.