50 g melted butter, cooled
170 g all-purpose flour
30 g Unsweetened Cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
200 g white sugar
1 large egg
170 g Buttermilk or plain yogurt
110 g Boiling water (Coffee works great too)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 325°F / 175°C.
2. Grease and flour ( I used cocoa powder instead flour) 2 cake pan of 15 cm / 6 inches diameter.
3. Whisk buttermilk, cooled melted butter, egg and vanilla until smooth. Set aside.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the flat beater, mix the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt on low speed for 30 seconds.
5. Pour buttermilk-egg mixture over dry ingredients starting from low speed and increasing slowly. Add hot boiling water and beat 1 or 2 minutes maximum or until you see no lumps. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. You can do this manually too using a whisk.
6. Pour mix evenly into cake pans and bake over a baking tray 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Place a wire rack on top of the cake pan and invert, lifting off the pan. Let cool at room temperature and freeze 30 minutes at least.
150 g Egg whites (about 5 large egg whites. It is important to weight them)
250 g White sugar
1. Mix egg whites with sugar in a small saucepan and put it over a saucepan with simmering water a few minutes until sugar dissolves or using a thermometer until it gets 65°C exactly. Whisk constantly. Sift the mix through a small sieve if you get any lumps.
2. Using a stand mixer, whisk for about 10 minutes or until Swiss meringue is firm and bowl feels cool.
To Assemble and decorate Cake
1. Even out both cakes in two equal layers so you get 4 evenly layers.
2. Place the first layer on a cake board and spread meringue over the cake.
3. Use a propane torch (or the smaller Butane Micro Torch used for cooking) to toast the meringe over the cake.
4. Spread some store bought or homemade raspberry jam (low in sugar).
5. Repeat the process 3 more times.