Cake recipe adapted from: Rose’s heavenly cakes book by Rose Levy Beranbaum.
White Chocolate Luxury Layer Cake
115 g White chocolate containing cocoa butter, chopped
4 egg yolks
160 g Milk
200 g Cake flour
160 g Superfine sugar
2 + 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt
85 g unsalted butter
1. Melt White Chocolate: Heat the chocolate until almost completely melted. Use a small microwavable bowl, stirring with a silicone spatula every 15 seconds (or use the top of a double boiler set over hot, not simmering, water, stirring often—do not let the bottom of the container touch the water). Remove the white chocolate from the heat and, with the silicone spatula, stir until fully melted. Allow it to cool until it is no longer warm to the touch but is still fluid.
2. Preheat oven to 325°F / 160°C . Grease and flour two round 5 x 3.5 inch / 12 x 9 cm cake pans.
3.In a medium bowl, whisk the yolks, 1/4 cup of the milk, and the vanilla just until lightly combined.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the flat beater, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest on low speed for 30 seconds. Add the butter and the remaining milk. Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Raise the speed to medium and beat for 1½ minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
5. Starting on medium-low speed, gradually add the egg mixture to the batter in three parts, beating on medium speed for 20 seconds after each addition to incorporate the ingredients and strengthen the structure. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
6. Add the melted white chocolate and beat to incorporate it.
7. Scrape the batter into the prepared pans and smooth the surfaces evenly.
8. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a cake tester comes clean when inserted into the center. Be so careful to not over-bake.
9. Let cool on racks for 10 minutes before loosening the sides with a small metal spatula, and invert onto greased wire racks. Gently turn cakes back up, so the tops are up and cool completely.
White Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream
150 g Egg whites (about 5 large egg whites. It is important to measure them)
250 g Butter, softened
200 g White sugar
100 g Melted and cooled White Chocolate
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
100 g Cherry puree or Cherry jam / Homemade or store-bought ( You can also use any kind of red berries jam such as Strawberry)
1. Mix egg whites with sugar in a small saucepan and put it over a saucepan with simmering water a few minutes until sugar dissolves or using a thermometer until it gets 147°F / 64°C exactly, whisking constantly. Sift the mix through a small sieve if you get any white lumps.
2. Using a stand mixer, whisk at high speed for about 10 minutes or until Swiss meringue is firm and bowl feels cool.
3. Once meringue is ready, start adding soften butter with a spoon slowly until it is fully incorporated. Whip 10 minutes at hight speed. Don’t worry if the batter looks curdled at the beginning, just keep whipping at high speed.
4. Add cooled White Chocolate and Vanilla extract and whip 5 more minutes at medium speed.
5. Take out 1/3 of the buttercream, add it some drops of Teal food coloring, mix and set aside.
6. Add Cherry puree in the bowl of the stand mixer and whisk until buttercream seems smooth. You can add some drops of Pink food coloring.
To Assemble and decorate Cake
1. If cakes are domed on top, even out with a knife (Frozen cakes work better here). You can cut both cakes in half so you get 4 evenly layers.
2. Place the first layer on a cake board and using a pastry bag, pipe cherry/pink buttercream around top, starting in the center of the cake. Repeat the process twice.
3. Spread cherry meringue buttercream all over the cake and then remove any excess with the icing smoother and place it in the refrigerator about 15 minutes.
4. Bring the cake from the refrigerator and using the offset spatula cover with the Teal/Blue buttercream.
5. Begin covercoating cake and smoothing slowly. Be patient. Pay attention to get smooth surfaces and straight edges.
6. Use the remaining cherry/pink buttercream to pipe on the top of the cake. I used Wilton 1M tip.
7. Put some fresh cherries on top. Add some sprinkles and White Chocolate on top and around the cake.